A Saudi-led coalition in Yemen said on Saturday it accepted that an air attack last month that killed dozens of people, including children traveling on a bus, was unjustified and pledged to hold accountable anyone who contributed to the error.
DW’s report says “An official from the Joint Incident Assessment Team (JIAT), an investigative body set up by the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen, told reporters in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, on Saturday that a probe had found “mistakes” in an August airstrike that killed 40 children on a bus.
He added that those responsible must be “punished.”
JIAT legal adviser Mansour Ahmed al-Mansour said the strikes were based on intelligence that indicated the bus was carrying Houthi leaders.
At the time, the Saudis said that the airstrikes had targeted missile launchers used in an attack on the southern Saudi city of Jizan and that the Houthis were using children as human shields.”