Turkish military convoy was attacked en route to one of its observation posts in northwest Syria on Monday, Turkey’s Defence Ministry said, adding that three civilians were killed and 12 others wounded in the air strike.
The ministry said in a statement that the attack violated Ankara’s agreements and cooperation with Russia, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s most powerful ally. It said Russia had been told in advance about the convoy.
On Sunday evening a Russian-backed government offensive reached Khan Sheikhoun, the rebel stronghold where the Turkish convoy is headed.
The convoy – reportedly made up of dozens of armoured vehicles – is laden with ammunition and entered Idlib province on Monday.
The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) reported that Russian aircraft had carried out strikes near a Turkish convoy in northern Syria on the morning of 19 August.
The convoy’s arrival has been condemned in Syrian state media as an act of aggression. It said the munitions would not stop government forces “hunting the remnants of terrorists”.
The incident has raised fears of direct clashes between the countries.