Passers-by who tackled a man wielding a knife on London Bridge have been praised as “everyday heroes”.
Two people were killed when the attacker stabbed a number of people in a “terror-related” incident.
Footage filmed by eyewitnesses and shared on social media showed a scrum of people tackling the suspect on the ground before the police arrived. The Times reports that the man was Polish Chef Lukasz.
One man, wearing a suit and tie, was seen carrying a large knife away from the group.
Some people in the UK: We don’t need foreigners living in our country.
Łukasz, the Polish chef who tackled the killer on London Bridge: Pass me my five foot Narwhal tusk! pic.twitter.com/iuW5KIH7g0
— Bands FC (@_Bands_FC) November 30, 2019
The man suspected of stabbing two people to death in a terror attack on London Bridge was an ex-prisoner convicted of terrorism offences and released last year, police said on Saturday, France24 reports.
Police named the suspect as 28-year-old Usman Khan, saying they were not actively seeking others in relation to the incident.
“This individual was known to authorities, having been convicted in 2012 for terrorism offences. He was released from prison in December 2018 on licence,” Neil Basu, head of UK counter-terrorism policing, said in a statement.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who is hoping to win a majority in a December 12 election to enable him to take the country out of the European Union, praised the emergency services and the public for their response.
Before chairing a meeting of the government’s emergencies committee, said he had “long argued” it was a “mistake to allow serious and violent criminals to come out of prison early”.
Via France24 / The Times (UK)