Salvini insists terrorist presence on migrants boats from Libya now a certainty
Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said the chaos in Libya following Khalifa Haftar’s offensive has increased the risk of terrorist presence on migrant boats headed for Italy, said, adding the country’s ports would remain closed.
Salvini said Islamic terrorist infiltration is no longer a risk but has become a certainty and it is therefore his duty to reiterate that no docking will be allowed on Italian shores he said in a radio interview on Wednesday.
Salvini refused to say if Italy’s stance could change in case of a full-fledged war in Libya.
Earlier this week Libyan Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj in an interview with Italian daily Corriere della Sera warned that 800,000 migrants and Libyans could ‘invade’ Italy from conflict-torn Libya. Among them, he said, were criminals and, above all, jihadists linked to ISIS.
He warned that the worsening of the situation in Libya could push this surge in migrants and appealed for immediate intervention. Sarraj thanked Italy for its mediation and support for peace in Libya.
Via Rai News