Malaysia Malaysian Airlines News Russia The Netherlands Ukraine

“New developments” in MH17 investigation

Reading Time: 1 minute

 

There are “new developments” in the investigation into the downing of flight MH17, the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) said on Friday in an email sent to the relatives of the people who were killed in the disaster.

Exactly what these new developments are, is not yet clear. The JIT will first inform the relatives on Wednesday and after the press will be informed.

The JIT is an alliance of investigators from the Netherlands, Australia, Belgium, Malaysia and Ukraine. The investigation has already determined that the missile which brought down the Malaysia Airlines plane came from a launching system which originated at a Russian military base.

Flight MH17 was shot down over eastern Ukraine on July 17th, 2014. All 298 people on board, including 196 Dutch, were killed. Investigation by the Dutch Safety Board and the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) so far revealed that the Malaysian Airlines flight was shot down by a BUK missile system from the 53rd Anti-aircraft Brigade of the Russian Armed Forces, fired from a field in Ukraine that was under the control of pro-Russian separatists at the time.

Last May the Netherlands said it is holding Russia responsible for the disaster. Russia has consistently denied any involvement.

Dutch media are speculating that the investigators will reveal the names of the people they say may have fired the missile.

Via SBS

 

%d bloggers like this: