The Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps announced on Monday that it had fired ballistic missiles at eastern Syrian in retaliation to an attack at a military parade in southwestern Iran in September.
“The headquarters of those responsible for the terrorist crime in Ahvaz was attacked a few minutes ago east of the Euphrates by several ballistic missiles fired by the aerospace branch of the Guardians of the Revolution,” the Guards said on their official website.
The Guards did not say where the missiles were launched from.
According to Iran’s Fars news agency, the Guards fired Zolfaghar and Qiam missiles, with a range of 750 kilometers and 800 kilometers (465 and 500 miles), respectively.
“Our iron fist is prepared to deliver a decisive and crushing response to any wickedness and mischief of the enemies,” the Guards said in the statement.
The Ahvaz National Resistance, an Iranian ethnic separatist movement, and ISIS have both claimed responsibility for the September 22 attack in which 25 people were killed.
Neither group has presented conclusive evidence to back up their claim.
Twelve Guards were among those killed in the attack, when gunmen fired on a viewing stand as military officials watched a ceremony in the city of Ahvaz marking the start of Iran’s 1980-1988 war with Iraq.
Last year, the Guards fired missiles at ISIS terrorists in Syria after the group claimed responsibility for an attack on the parliament in Tehran and the mausoleum of the founder of Iran’s revolution, Khomeini, that left at least 18 people dead and dozens wounded.