Our Malta’s news roundup for Wednesday is dominated by the latest developments regards the hijack of a cargo ship by a number of people who were rescued off Libya.
Migrants have hijacked a merchant vessel off the coast of Libya and rerouted it northwards towards Malta. The Times says that a tanker rescued 108 migrants at sea and was returning to the African country before they took over its command.
Read more here
Prime Minister Joseph Muscat said that the current population in Malta does not justify a metro system. The Malta Independent quotes Muscat who said that unless a mass transport system is profitable, it would have to rely on raised taxes.
The National Auditor’s Office found a series of ‘design flaws’ in contracts governing jobs outsourced by Mount Carmel Hospital. MaltaToday says the NAO investigation report flagged the lack of performance assessment systems.
One News covers an address by Prime Minister Joseph Muscat at a conference by the Chamber of Commerce. Muscat said that the government will not hold back from making reforms to sustain the country’s economic success.
Net News reports from the same event and quotes Prof. Peter McKieran from the University of Strathclyde who warned that Malta places towards the bottom of the list in the spend per country on research and development.
Heritage Malta is in talks to acquire and restore Villa Guardamangia where Queen Elizabeth resided for three years. TVM says the Royal Family is involved in the project to convert the property into a museum.
Birdlife Malta reported a series of illegal shootings even before the Spring hunting season opened. The Shift News says that the Ornis Committee decided on Tuesday to open the season from April 10th to 30th.
58 children were adopted by families in Malta last year, a record number for the country says LovinMalta. Family Minister Michael Falzon said that 70 percent of the children were originally from India and the others born in Slovakia, Portugal, and Thailand.
A ruling by magistrate Donatella Frendo Dimech on Tuesday has angered nurses who are sharing social media messages threatening to withdraw care for patients after noon. Newsbook says the reaction refers to a court decision which found two nurses guilty of involuntary killing a patient.