Airlines, Water, Pets and Driving amongst the latest elements the UK government issued notices in case of No-Deal Brexit

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Flights could cease between the UK and the rest of the EU if Britain crashes out of the bloc without a deal, the government has said. In its latest set of “no deal” notices, the government has said flights could suffer disruption because the EU-issued aviation licences would not be valid and airlines would have to seek individual permissions to operate with respective states.

The Guardian reports that “If the UK leaves the EU in March 2019 with no agreement in place, UK and EU licensed airlines would lose the automatic right to operate air services between the UK and the EU without seeking advance permission,” said the government.

The government says it would unilaterally grant EU airlines permission to land at British airports and hopes that member states would reciprocate. “It would not be in the interest of any EU country or the UK to restrict the choice of destinations that could be served, though if such permissions are not granted, there could be disruption to some flights.” That would form the basis of a “bare bones” deal with the EU to keep flights in the air, it says, pointing out that “EU-licensed airlines would lose the ability to operate wholly within the UK (eg from Heathrow to Edinburgh), and UK-licensed airlines would lose the ability to operate intra-EU air services (eg from Milan to Paris.)

The government says there would be no disruption to air traffic control across British airspace as this is guaranteed under international conventions. “We’ll provide more information in the coming months, with the aim of giving aviation businesses and passengers as much certainty as possible ahead of the UK’s exit from the EU,” said the notice.

The latest batch of no-deal papers also reveal that pet owners – those with dogs, cats or ferrets – who want to take holidays in the EU would have to prepare for travel “at least four months ahead in advance of the date they wish to travel”.

The documents also show that some UK bus and coach services may be unable to access the EU in the event of no deal. The government intends join the EU’s Interbus agreement, which in its current form would allow coach holidays and tours to continue.

But it warns there is a “greater risk of UK operators being unable to run regular services into the EU” because the agreement does not cover those services, but it believes the risk “to be low”. It is concerned enough, however, to tell UK operators who wish to take travel bookings for after 29 March 2019 that they “may wish to consider contractual terms with their customers”.

UK motorists would need to carry an international certificate of insurance issued by insurance providers, known as a green card as proof of third-party motor insurance cover when driving in the EU in the event of a no deal.


The papers also state that British mineral waters would not be accepted for sale in the EU in the event of a no deal, and UK producers may need to be prepared to apply for recognition of their water through an EU member state unless a special agreement is reached. But the UK intends to allow mineral waters from the 27 country bloc into Britain as before even in a no deal scenario.


Another notice said processed food makers would need to display a UK and EU address on their products after a no-deal Brexit if they wanted to be sold in each territory.


“An EU address alone would no longer be valid for the UK market. Similarly, a UK address alone would no longer be valid for the EU market,” the technical notice on food labelling warns.


Previous Article
Next Article

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Part of:

Stay informed

Enter your email address so that you can receive Corporate Dispatch straight to your mailbox.


%d bloggers like this: