Malta News Evening Roundup – Tuesday 4th September 2018
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Good evening,

The following are the leading stories as reported by Malta’s news portals so far.

Today’s news has been mainly dominated by the disappearance of freediver Neil Zammit, who went missing yesterday late afternoon while diving in Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq.

The Times of Malta has confirmed that the diver Neil Zammit has been found dead, for what is a tragic end to the search for Zammit. The retrieval of his body has begun by the AFM after nearly a day of searching. Zammit who was 20 years of age, was known to be a very dedicated and passionate diver. Rescue efforts started as soon as his colleague, who was with him diving that same evening. reported the fact that Zammit failed to surface from the sea  Claude Sciberras, from the Dive Warehouse, sponsors of Zammit, say that a diver of Zammit’s pedigree would be able to stay underwater for around two minutes on a single breath. The AFM had called off the search this morning as a large unidentified fish was spotted, making it potentially unsafe to continue the search. Some of Zammit’s friends went to help in finding him this morning, The Malta Independent reports.

Other reports : NetOne, TVM

MaltaToday headlines with the story were Alfred Degiorgio’s defense counsel being given a deadline to set a date for a video conference court hearing with the FBI in connection with the Daphne Caruana Galzia’s murder case. Failure to comply with the court’s demands would lead to his contempt. This was said after Degiorgio’s counsel said they can’t make it to the hearings on the given date.

TVM reports that the Labour Party accused the Nationalist Party with hasty comments and partisan behaviour regarding the Libyan issue, after the PN said that the Maltese Government is risking the lives of Maltese citizens who are in Libya. In a statement, PN expressed its regret for the events in Libya, stating that it joins the international community which is supporting the countries who are mediating between the parties for a solution. PN quoted the Maltese Ambassador in Libya, Carmelo Saliba and said that the Maltese Government is not prepared for this situation. It added that Malta lost the strong position it had in recent years in the diplomatic world and is neglecting and risking the lives of Maltese citizens currently in Libya.

One News and Net News reports about a major operation by the police in Cospicua, where a number of shops were raided for drugs. Some arrests were carried during the raid.

Newsbook reports that Minister for Health Chris Fearne said he is waiting for the results of the Gozo air ambulance inquiry which will be led by Magistrate Joe Cacciattolo to be issued within the next couple of weeks after last week, Nationalist MP Chris Said said that a critically-ill patient was admitted to Gozo General Hospital in the morning but was not flown over to Mater Dei Hospital before 4.30pm because the helicopter was not functioning properly.

One News reports a statement issued by the Labour Party to pay tribute to Professor Anglu Psaila who passed away in the past hours.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: