Malta News Evening Roundup – Friday 7th September 2018
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Good evening,

The news this afternoon has been dominated by the shocking discovery of an abandoned newborn child in Buġibba. This is a developing story.

We also read about the comments made on ending Maltese banks by Revolut’s CEO.

PC Simon Schembri was said to have suffered 66% disability after getting run over by an underaged driver.

The following are the leading stories as reported by Malta’s news portals so far.


 

TVM reports the finding of an newborn child, still with its umbilical cord attached, in Buġibba. While little information has come to light regarding the background of the child and how it ended up there, more information is expected to be uncovered later on. The story was also reported by NET News and One  and all the others. 


 

MaltaToday reports Revolut App founder and CEO Nikolay Storonsky’s aim to revolutionize banking in Malta, as the company targets 60,000 Maltese customers by the end of the year. He says he is aiming to “end the party” for Maltese banks with new innovative technology.

Revolut has vowed to turn the international financial banking sector on its head, with more than 2.5m users world-wide.

Revolut estimates to have processed over $22b in transactions since 2015.

Prime Minister Joseph Muscat tweeted “Welcome to #Malta @RevolutApp -JM” which seems to furthermore show that Revolut means business.

Revolut’s local country manager Dimitris Litsikakis, will be taking care of growing the brand both locally and across the Mediterranean.

The Time of Malta reports how a police officer dragged for several metres underneath a speeding car suffered a 66 per cent disability, a court heard on Friday.

PC Simon Schembri, 48, lost his arm in a hit-and-run incident on May 15. He also suffered serious injuries to his limbs and lungs.

The extent of his injuries were related in court as the compilation of evidence against Liam Debono, 17, continued before magistrate Joe Mifsud.

The Malta Independent reports on how the Pembroke Mayor Dean Hili is voting againts the db Group’s ITS application in the public meeting being held on 20 September.

Hili said that Pembroke will be the most affected locality with the development, and welcomed that his local council will have a member on the PA’s board with voting rights.

Hili said that the project’s design is incongruent from the surrounding area, highlighting that the residential buildings around are no higher than two storeys from street level. He said that the proposal jars.

He feels preoccupied with the lack of a comprehensive master plan for Paceville, Pembroke, St Julian’s and Swieqi, as well as the surrounding localities. Hili stressed the need to consider the cumulative effects of the amount of app;lications for high rises in the area, and by this he did not mean just the visual impacts.

 

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: