The following are the leading stories as reported by Malta’s news portals so far.
One News reports that the Prime Minister of Malta commented about the situation in Libya. Prime Minister Muscat said in a tweet that Malta is following the situation in Tripoli Libya with deep apprehension. He said that the UN and the international community cannot turn a blind eye and pretend it is not happening
The government, through the Attorney General, today gave its first reaction to the letter sent to the Maltese High Commission in London on 9 August by British legal company Bhatt Murphy which complained about the way the investigation of Daphne Caruana Galizia’s murder is being conducted and alleged that the Maltese Government is breaching the European Convention of Human Rights. The Malta Independent
A legal opinion issued by a company representing Daphne Caruana Galizia’s family included false allegations, baseless insinuations, and incorrect information, the government charged on Saturday. In its letter, copied to the press, the government stressed that the magistrate leading the inquiry into the murder of Ms Caruana Galizia has absolute liberty to do and investigate all that is necessary “without fear or favour”.
The government emphasised that the judiciary is independent and this investigation has been given the most resources in Malta’s law-enforcing history. Times of Malta
Replying to legal opinion sent on the family’s behalf by the law firm Bhatt Murphy, the government said the police could hardly be expected to give a ‘running commentary’ of their investigations. MaltaToday
TVM reports that Wasteserv said that the Malta North plant at Magħtab is operating normally after Friday’s fire was completely extinguished.
In a statement, the company thanked the workers who worked closely with the Civil Protection department members.