Kuwait insists emir in good health after reports that he was unwell

epa06999528 The Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah speaks as he meets US President Donald J. Trump in the Oval Office of the White House in the Oval Office of the White House, in Washington, DC, USA, 05 September 2018. EPA-EFE/Alex Edelman / POOL

Reading Time: < 1 minute

Kuwaiti state media reported Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad Al-Sabah had “recovered”, shortly after Iran’s foreign minister indicated that the 90-year-old was unwell.

The emir “has recovered from a setback and is in good health now”, Kuwait’s official news agency KUNA said, citing a palace statement, without specifying the nature of the “setback”.

Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah underwent medical tests that turned out well, acting minister of the Amiri Diwan Mohammad Dhaifallah Sharar said.

Prior to KUNA’s report late on Sunday, there had been no word on the emir’s health in official media or Kuwaiti newspapers.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif had earlier on Sunday wished Sheikh Sabah a “speedy recovery” after talking with the Gulf state’s officials.

The emir, who ascended to power in January 2006, was seen in public last week during Muslim prayers and appeared in good health.

Sheikh Sabah had a pacemaker implanted in 2000 and underwent successful urinary tract surgery in the United States in August 2007.

 

Via Arab News/ Times of Israel/Reuters

 

 

%d bloggers like this: