Italy warns of humanitarian crisis in Libya… another attack by ISIS
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte told the Lower House Parliament that the conflict in Libya risks creating a humanitarian crisis with major consequences for security.
Conte said the humanitarian crisis, its consequences for migrant flows, and the return of the threat of terrorism, as shown by the recent attack by ISIS, make determination and fast action in Libya necessary. The premier added that there are no economic or geopolitical interests that can justify military escalation and the risk of a civil war.
In another development, ISIS is claiming that it’s fighters had killed six soldiers from the east Libyan National Army (LNA) force near Sabha, in Libya’s south-west.
A spokesman for the LNA, under the command of Khalifa Haftar, confirmed the attack but said there had been no casualties on the LNA side.
In other developments, more than 190 troops from the LNA have been captured during their offensive on Tripoli, officials loyal to the internationally recognized government based in the capital said.
A total of 116 fighters were captured in Zawiya, a town west of Tripoli, and additional 75 in Ain Sara on the southern outskirts of the capital, officials said.
In the midst of all this, the European Union urged the LNA forces to stop their offensive on the Libyan capital Tripoli.
The statement from the bloc’s top diplomat, Federica Mogherini, had been held up for a day as France and Italy sparred over how to handle the escalating conflict.
#Libya @FedericaMog speaks with Libyan Prime Minister Al-Serraj. Libya can count on EU unity in support of an immediate stop of fighting, humanitarian truce and return to @UN led political process, in interest of all Libyans.
— European External Action Service – EEAS 🇪🇺 (@eu_eeas) April 10, 2019