Four beheaded by ISIS in Egypt

epa07105284 Egyptian Army forces stand guard in Saint Catherine, South Sinai, Egypt, 19 October 2018. Visitors climb the 2,285 meter-tall Moses Mountain, where according to Christian tradition Prophet Moses received the Tables of the Law containing the Ten Commandments from God. Tourism accounts for 11.3 per cent of Egypt's gross domestic product, and many of the country's 90 million inhabitants rely on the sector for a living. EPA-EFE/KHALED ELFIQI

Reading Time: < 1 minute

At least two people were killed by a suicide bombing in North Sinai hours  after four headless bodies were found in the same area.

The victims of the bombing were a civilian and a member of the security forces. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The bombing happened at a car park in the town of Sheikh Zuweid, near the border with the Gaza Strip, a security source and a medical source said.

Separately, two security sources said four headless bodies were found in an empty street in the North Sinai town of Bir al-Abd on Wednesday. Their families had reported that the four men, aged 23 to 51, had been kidnapped, the sources said.

A security source and three residents said that militants stopped several cars before taking five people away and forcing them to lie down on the ground. They killed four and kidnapped the fifth, the security source and the residents said.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the beheadings via its Amaq agency, saying the four were spies for the Egyptian military.

An Egyptian military spokesman said in a statement that security forces killed the bomber before he reached a checkpoint, which was his intended target. The spokesman confirmed that a member of the armed forces was killed.

Islamist militants, some linked to Islamic State, are active in the Sinai Peninsula, and security forces launched a major operation there in February last year.

 

Via Reuters

%d bloggers like this: