Disease outbreaks feared in Libya… blasts in downtown Tripoli

Reading Time: 1 minute

The World Health Organisation (WHO) said that it feared outbreaks of infectious diseases due to dirty water and people fleeing fighting nearing Tripoli, and warning it has about two weeks of emergency supplies for hospitals and health facilities.

Dr Syed Jaffar Hussain, WHO representative in Libya, told a Geneva news briefing, that after a week of fighting, at least 75 people have been killed and 323 wounded, including seven civilians killed and 10 wounded, by telephone from Tripoli.

The WHO has delivered trauma kits and medicines to hospitals, he said, adding that these supplies will last for two weeks, the acute phase.

So far 6,000 have fled the fighting but WHO has contingency plans in case thousands if not hundreds of thousands are displaced in the acute phase of fighting.

In the meantime gunfire and blasts echoed through downtown Tripoli in the small hours of Friday as the eastern Libyan LNA force under the command of Khalifa Haftar pushed against the forces of the internationally recognised government around the disused international airport and the Ain Zara district.

After sweeping up from the desert south, Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA) has have been held up in the southern suburbs of Tripoli, about 11 km from the centre.

 

Via Reuters

%d bloggers like this: