How do I protect myself?
To protect yourself and others from infection practice good hand and respiratory hygiene:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and if not available, use alcohol-based hand disinfectant.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or inner side of flexed elbow when coughing or sneezing.
- DO NOT sneeze or cough into your hands as you may contaminate objects or people that you touch.
- Dispose of used tissues immediately in bins; DO NOT leave tissues running around.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth before washing your hands.
- Keep a one metre distance when talking to someone who is sick.
Should I wear facemasks?
In Malta, there is no need to wear facemasks. Wearing a mask in a preventive manner is not recommended by the World Health Organisation as a means to avoid contamination with the COVID-19 virus. Facemasks help people, who are already infected with the virus, from spreading it others.
Can I be contaminated by receiving a package from an affected area?
People receiving packages from affected areas are not at risk of contracting the novel coronavirus. From previous analysis, we know coronaviruses do not survive long on objects such as letters or packages.