Coronavirus claims sixth life in Italy, 219 infected

epa08243675 A woman wearing a protective face mask uses a mobile phone, in the center of Milan, northern Italy, 24 February 2020. Italian authorities announced on the day that there are over 200 confirmed cases of COVID-19 disease in the country, with at least five deaths. Precautionary measures and ordinances to tackle the spreading of the deadly virus included the closure of schools, gyms, museums and cinemas in the affected areas in northern Italy.

Reading Time: 3 minutes

The number of deaths caused by the Coronavirus in Italy now reached 6. On Monday, three more persons succumbed to the effects of the virus as the country has reported that the number of people diagnosed with the Co-Vid 19 reached 200.

Adriano Trevisan, 78 years old from Vo ‘Euganeo (Padua) died on February 21. He had been hospitalized for about ten days at the Schiavonia hospital (Padua) with a diagnosis of pneumonia. Since he had never been to China, only a few days before his death he had been tested for coronavirus, a positive result. Trevisan frequented a bar in his country together with a friend who in turn found positive.

Corriere Della Sera gives a report on who were the victims were so far.

A 75-year-old woman residing in Casalpusterlengo, one of the municipalities in the “red zone” of Lodigiano, passed away on 22 February. It seems that the woman visted the Codogno emergency room at the same time as the so-called “patient 1” was there, the thirty-eight year old from Codogno from whom the entire infection is believed to have started. The swab on the virus was carried out at the Casalpusterlengo woman post mortem.

Angela Denti, 68, from Trescore Cremasco (Cremona) died on Sunday at the Crema hospital. She had a very compromised clinical picture: she was admitted to the oncology department with a diagnosis of cancer and had a heart attack shortly before her death. Following a respiratory crisis, she had also been found positive for coronavirus.

On Monday an 84-year-old man from Villa di Serio died in Bergamo, at the Papa Giovanni hospital: he had been transferred there from the Alzano Lombardo hospital with a clinical picture already compromised and positive for coronavirus. An 88-year-old man born in Caselle Landi and residing in a municipality in the area is the fifth victim of the coronavirus in Italy. The town is in the Lodi area but it is not one of the ten centers included in the “outbreak” by the decree of the Ministry of Health and the Lombardy Region. The last case woman residing in Crema died at the Spedali Civili in Brescia with a diagnosis of coronavirus. He also had a tumor diagnosis and a very compromised state of health. She was initially admitted to the Crema hospital but was transferred to Brescia just after the infection from Covid-19.

The Civil Protection Department Head Angelo Borrelli said Monday that 219 people in Italy have been infected with the deadly virus. Italy is now third in the world for coronavirus cases after China and South Korea. Borrelli said there were 167 cases in Lombardy, including the people who died in the region. In Veneto 27 cases have been reported, including that of an elderly man from the town of Vo’ Euganeo who died, and there are 18 in Emilia-Romagna, plus four in Piedmont and three in Lazio. The Lazio cases are that of a Italian researcher who was brought back from Wuhan and has recovered and two Chinese tourists being treated at Rome’s Spallanzani hospital.
Borrelli said said 99 people are being treated in hospital, while another 23 are intensive care and 91 are in isolation at home. He said there was no reason not to press ahead with plans to visit Italy.

“There is security in our country. You can come with peace of mind,” he said. The authorities have taken emergency measures to try to stop the spread of the virus.
Road blocks have been set up to stop people entering or leaving around 10 towns in the province are Lodi that the epicentre of the virus in Lombardy.

The regions of Lombardy, Veneto, Piedmont, Trentino-Alto Adige and Friuli Venezia Giulia have closed schools, universities, museums, monuments and libraries and banned public events that attract big crowds.

Via ANSA / Corriere Della Sera 

%d bloggers like this: