Conte argues that Malta (and other countries) did not honour its commitment in the last Pozzallo disembarking of migrants
Reading Time: 1 minute

Italy’s prime minister has allowed all child migrants on the coastguard ship that docked in the port of Catania on Monday into Italy

The legal agency in Sicily responsible for children’s welfare had made the request.

It’s a climbdown by the anti-immigrant government in Rome which previously said none of the 177 migrants would be allowed to set foot on Italian soil.

A small group at the port held up an anti-government protest. Their banners read: “Lets protect people, not frontiers” and “Keep Being Human”.

Interor Minister Matteo Salvini has repeatedly said Italy “will no longer be Europe’s refugee camp”

Meanwhile, adult migrants remain on board the ship that rescued them from the Mediterranean, alive and physically safe, but still stateless and homeless.

Earlier

In a Facebook post, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, said that Italy did its part and saved the 177 migrants who were at risk through its Coast Guard ship Diciotti in Maltese SAR area.

He said had it not been for that, migrants would die.

At the same time he urged Europe to do its part and helps in the case.

He also added that only France took the agreed migrants in the previous case which ended with the docking of the rescue ship in Pozzallo.

He said that he’s expecting Malta, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Ireland to honours its commitment.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: