The Queen will hold crisis talks with the Duke of Sussex, the Duke of Cambridge and the Prince of Wales today – the first face-to-face discussions since Prince Harry and wife Meghan announced their decision to step back from royal duties.
In what can be seen as an unprecedented summit, the senior royals will sit down together at Sandringham in Norfolk where it is thought the “next steps” will be decided following the fallout from Sussexes’ bombshell.
It is understood that Meghan, who is in Canada with baby Archie, may join the meeting by telephone.
But it is unlikely that a final agreement will be reached during the talks.
Prince Charles has returned from Oman for the talks after attending a condolence ceremony following the death of Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said.
In their statement on Wednesday, the couple said they intend to “step back” as senior royals and work to become financially independent.
They also said they plan to split their time between the UK and North America, while “continuing to honour our duty to the Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages”.
Newspaper reports suggested the couple could conduct a potentially damaging television interview if they were unhappy with the outcome of the discussions.
Broadcaster and friend of the couple, Tom Bradby – who made a documentary with them last year – wrote in the Sunday Times: “I have some idea of what might be aired in a full, no-holds-barred, sit-down interview and I don’t think it would be pretty.”