At least 284 civilian deaths in Libya this year

File photo of fighting in Libya. EPA/STR

Reading Time: < 1 minute

The United Nations said Friday it is concerned about the deteriorating human rights situation in Libya with at least 284 civilian deaths this year.

“This is an increase of more than a quarter over the number of casualties recorded during the same period last year,” said the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights spokesman Rupert Colville.

The spokesman said that 343,000 civilians had been displaced from densely populated areas due to ongoing conflicts and there is risk of the displacement of another 100,000 civilians.

The concerns include what is happening to civilians, attacks against human rights defenders and journalists, treatment of migrants and refugees, and conditions of detention and impunity, he said at a bi-weekly news briefing.

The most significant cause of civilian casualties was airstrikes with 182 civilians killed and 212 wounded, Colville said.

He cited the World Health Organization saying there were 61 different attacks against health institutions.

More via AA

%d bloggers like this: