AP/CNN: Los Angeles police arrested a man outside a Trader Joe’s on Saturday evening, bringing an apparent end to an incident in which a man barricaded himself inside the grocery store for hours after running from police.
A woman inside the store was killed, Mayor Eric Garcetti said Saturday at a news conference. He did not identify her or say how she died. The suspect was wounded in his left arm after exchanging shots with police, Garcetti told reporters.
The LA Fire Department said six people ranging from ages 12 to 81 were taken to the hospital following the incident. All were in fair condition with no life-threatening injuries, a spokeswoman said.
“We have successfully taken the suspect into custody without incident,” Los Angeles police said on Twitter after the standoff ended.
Here are the latest developments:
• About 40 people were inside the store in the Silver Lake neighborhood when the armed man entered, Police Chief Michael Moore said.
• The suspect, 28, shot his grandmother and a younger female earlier in the day, police said. Earlier, police had described the suspect as being in his late teens.
• He ran into the Trader Joe’s after crashing his grandmother’s car outside the store during a police pursuit, police said.
• After talking with hostage negotiators, the suspect handcuffed himself and surrendered outside the store, Moore said.
• He said the man shot his grandmother seven times and she has undergone a series of surgeries at a local hospital. Her condition was not given.