The number of active coronavirus cases in Italy was down in 19 out of 20 regions (the only exception being one of the smallest, Molise), as 888 cases were identified throughout the past 24 hours. These cases were identified on 62,000 tests.
The most significant decreases took place in the three hardest-hit regions, with Piedmont having 693 cases less, Lombardy with a decrease of 643 and Emilia Romagna with a reduction of 299.
The Civil Protection has revealed today a slight increase in the number of deaths, 195 today against 172 yesterday. For the first time since the start of the pandemic in the country, the number of recoveries has exceeded 50% of total cases.
Meanwhile, earlier today, Italy‘s education minister said schools across the country would reopen in September, after being shut for six months due to the coronavirus outbreak.
“For this reason the government has decided to reopen in September,” Education Minister Lucia Azzolina told a parliamentary hearing, adding that the current conditions would not allow lessons to restart safely any earlier.
Schools and universities have been closed nationwide since March 5, as part of a lockdown to curb the spread of the virus which has so far killed almost 31,000 people in Italy
Reuters / Tgcom