Your evening news roundup from Malta’s news portals follows.
The Times of Malta writes that despite the government’s denial about the direct order of over €270 million to a consortium made by James Caterers Limited and Malta Healthcare Company, on July 20, through the government gazette, the Ministry for Family and Social Solidarity said it had issued a €273,649,689 million direct order to Consortium for “the management services of new hospital/residence (part of a Public Private Partnership). The approval of the direct order was obtained by the ministry on November 9, 2017, according to the same government gazette and had a direct order reference number: SVP943According to the law, the government is obliged to publish a list of direct orders given by each ministry every six months. A spokesman for the Finance Ministry said on Monday “the minister had not approved any such direct order and had already requested a report on the matter from the Director of Contracts”.Maltatoday reports that “a 500-bed extension to St Vincent de Paul was awarded after a competitive process, the government says but it fails to explain a multi-million euro contract listed as a direct order that appeared in the Government Gazette.”
A relative of the St Vincent de Paul home carer who was suspended on Monday told The Malta Independent that what happened to the elderly patient was an accident, and not an alleged case of abuse, as stated in the Department of Information statement.The relative said that the carer was putting the patient to bed when the latter stumbled. The carer intervened to stop the fall but the patient must have ended up hitting his face against the bed’s metal bar, which resulted in serious injuries.TVM reported that following the suspension of a carer at St Vincent de Paule on allegations of abuse of an elderly man, relatives of the carer insisted with TVM on what happened on that day and the suffering they are passing through due to the allegations which they say are totally unfounded.Everything started from a photo uploaded on the social media showing an elderly man with face injuries. The person who uploaded the photo insinuated that this was a case of abuse at St Vincent de Paule.Visibly tearful, a member of the carer’s family said that events occurred to the contrary of what was alleged. She said that this was an unfortunate accident when the carer was alone assisting the elderly get into bed and he moved away to assist another patient. Meanwhile, the elderly man moved and was about to fall from the bed, with the carer running towards him and held him to prevent him from falling down. However, the elderly had already knocked his face against the bed’s barriers.
Lovin Malta reports about the experience a Maltese couple went through after the earthquake which happened in Indonesia last Sunday.
MaltaToday reports that Archbishop Charles J Scicluna, will be personally celebrating Ella Agius’ Holy Communion at her residence next Sunday, Ella Agius’s father confirmed this to MaltaToday.The family will be celebrating the Holy Communion by replacing the Eucharist with bread, making it easier for Ella to accept it. Having been denied official certification by Burmarrad parish priest, Christian Anthony Borg, Ella’s family were personally contacted by Archbishop Scicluna, and a meeting at their own personal residence was held on Tuesday. The Malta Independent also reports the story entitled Archbishop will personally celebrate autistic girl’s holy communion. Prominence is also given on Newsbook.
The Shift News reports that new, tougher guidelines will be published later this year to regulate golden passports as the European Commission was “extremely concerned” with the issue, EU Justice Commissioner Věra Jourová said. In an interview with German newspaper Die Welt, Jourová criticised the practice of a number of member countries’ practice of awarding golden passports to rich people from outside the EU bloc and urged them to do more to ensure that citizenship was not granted to criminals.
TVM reports that at about 3pm this afternoon the ceiling of a residence in Wied ta’ Birkirkara collapsed, the residence being a short distance away from McDonald’s.A 57-year old man from Imsida was injured in the accident and admitted in hospital for treatment.
One News reports about a blog by Nationalist MP Karol Aquilina regards the Egrant Inquiry. The report says that Aquilina is saying that one should not take the inquiry as ‘the ‘Bible’, referring to the Maltese idiom which represents infallibility and truth. In the blog, which was published on Newsbook, Aquilina says that the Attorney General is abusing his role by not granting the Opposition access to it.
Newsbook reports that an agreement has been reached between the MUT and the Curia for teachers working in Church Schools. The report quotes Archbishop Scicluna speaking about the ethos of Church Schools which stems from the principle that each child’s formation is seen holistically. The story is also reported prominently on Net News.
Net News reports that the three accused with the murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia were denied bail for the second time in less than a week.