Alek Minassian, 25, the driver suspected of killing 10 people and injuring 15 more by ploughing a rental van into pedestrians in Toronto has appeared in court in the city.

He was charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder. He was read the charges and ordered to have no contact with surviving victims. He will return to court on 10 May.

The suspect was arrested several blocks from the scene of the attack, after a tense standoff with a police officer, during which he pointed an object at the officer and claimed to have a gun.

“All Canadians continue and will continue to have questions about why this happened, what could possibly be the motive behind it,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.

So far, officials aren’t calling the attack an act of terrorism. “There would appear to be no national security connection,” Canadian Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said.

Source ABC, BBC, CNN, Reuters.